The Crown Prosecution Service says it is “reviewing the position” in the case of a teenager who killed two motorcyclists in an accident in 2020.
We reported on Friday how Joshua Kempster, 19, who had admitted killing two motorcyclists due to careless driving, had walked free from court last week after all charges were dropped due to a legal technicality.
Kempster, 19, had been cleared of dangerous driving following a trial over the deaths of motorcyclists, Andrew Cuthbert, 58, and Gary Groves, 62, on the Bishop’s Waltham to Corhampton road.
Kempster had earlier pleaded guilty to careless driving but as the prosecution did not accept his guilty plea – instead arguing for the higher charge of dangerous driving – it was no longer valid.
A CPS spokesperson said: “On 2 February 2020, Andrew Cuthbert and Gary Groves were involved in a road traffic collision which tragically led to their deaths.
“Following complex legal argument, proceedings in this case have ended. The CPS is now reviewing the position in relation to this case.
“We recognise that this is an extremely difficult and upsetting time for the families and friends of Andrew Cuthbert and Gary Groves, and our thoughts are with them at this traumatic time.”