Council tax set to rise to fund more Police

Mayville High School, Portsmouth Advertisement
Mayville High School, Portsmouth Advertisement
Mayville High School, Portsmouth Advertisement

Householders across Hampshire could soon be paying more money to help the police recruit more officers, improve the 101 call service and open more front counters at stations.

If approved, the amount households pay to police through their council tax could go up to £261.46 for a band D home for 2024/25, a rise of £10, which would mean an extra income of £7.2 million for police.

The provisional police grant report – which sets out the amount police forces in England and Wales are given by the government – confirmed the maximum amount police and crime commissioners (PCCs) can put council tax up by in England without a referendum will be £13 for a band D property.

With this in mind, the Government expects that PCCs across England will increase their band D precept by £13.

The report, which will be presented to the Hampshire and Isle of Wight Police and Crime Panel on Friday, said PCC Donna Jones wants to put the precept up to provide “the best opportunity to ensure her visions” for Hampshire and the Isle of Wight to be two of the safest places to “live, work and visit in the country”.

The report said 61 percent of households across Hampshire and the Isle of Wight are in bands A to C. This means that their increase would be less than £10 a year, if the panel approves the plans.

The increase of £10 per year will be equivalent to £0.83 per month, or 19p per week for band D homes.

With the increased percept, the PPC aims to provide 30 extra local policing sergeants, open new front counters, support the recent local bobby scheme for dedicated officers in neighbourhoods, improve the 101 non-emergency service, invest in estates to provide accommodation for officers, new vehicles and better IT systems. All of that will come at a cost of £12.4 million.

The proposed 2024/25 net budget is estimated to be £462.4 million. The report said 41 percent of this will come from the council tax precept and government grants accounting for the other 59 percent. The amount from the government is up seven percent (£18.6 million) on last year, totalling £274 million.

An online precept consultation ran in November last year showed that 60 percent of county residents supported a band D increase while 31 percent were against the rise.

Mayville High School, Portsmouth Advertisement
Mayville High School, Portsmouth Advertisement
Mayville High School, Portsmouth Advertisement