Fire triggers warning about lithium-ion battery safety after e-scooter blamed for huge blaze

Mayville High School, Portsmouth Advertisement
Mayville High School, Portsmouth Advertisement
Mayville High School, Portsmouth Advertisement
Gosport fire

Hampshire and Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service has issued a renewed warning about the safe charging and storing of e-scooters and other items using lithium-ion batteries following a fire in Gosport last night.

Firefighters worked through the night to tackle the fire in Gosport that started in a domestic three-storey property and spread through the roof to neighbouring properties. The initial reports and the preliminary fire investigation has found that an e-scooter is the most likely cause of the fire.

The main danger occurs when e-bikes and e-scooters are left on charge and unattended in homes or in communal areas such as hallways and stairwells. Charging lithium batteries indoors increases the fire risk, especially if charged overnight when occupants are sleeping. 

HIWFRS Station Manager, Lacey Plumbley, who attended the Gosport fire said: “E-bikes and e-scooters with lithium-ion batteries can catch fire quickly and with little warning. Thankfully everyone managed to evacuate the properties safely, but a number of families have seen their homes severely damaged as a result of this fire.

“We are urging people to keep an eye on their e-scooter and e-bikes when they are charging them and to think carefully about where they store them. Ideally they should be stored outside, but if they have to be stored inside avoid blocking emergency escape routes.”

Mayville High School, Portsmouth Advertisement
Mayville High School, Portsmouth Advertisement
Mayville High School, Portsmouth Advertisement