Meon Valley Times Advertisement

At the time of the Domesday Book West Meon was called Menes with a population of about 200. Back then it had a church and two mills where grain was ground to flour for the villagers. During the Civil War, skirmishes took place at West Meon prior to the battle of Cheriton Down on March 29th 1644.

By 1801 West Meon had a population of 536 which, at the time, was a large village. In 1830 Thomas Lord, who founded Lord’s Cricket Ground retired to West Meon and died there on January 13th 1832. He is buried in the village and a pub in the village is named after him.