Police Break-up Raves in Hampshire but Make No arrests

Meon Valley Times Advertisement

Hampshire Police have revealed that they have dispersed many large gatherings and groups attempting to host a party or rave in open spaces this summer – but not made a single arrest.

The news comes as the Government introduces new £10,000 fines for organisers of raves ahead of the Bank Holiday Weekend.

A spokesperson for Hampshire Police said: “Since May, we have attended seven incidents described as large gatherings or raves. On all occasions, officers have attended and engaged with the groups who have then left the area when we have asked them to, meaning that no enforcement has been required.

“Unlicensed music events are not permitted at any time, and large gatherings are not allowed to take place under the health regulations in place to limit the spread of coronavirus.

“We entirely understand that many people want to go out and enjoy the summer weather, especially young people who want to see their friends, and whilst we, of course, want people to have a good time, this needs to be done in a socially responsible way, within the law, and with due regard for everyone’s safety.

“For young people, it’s important for us that parents are aware of where their children are and what they are doing, and recognising there are still Government guidelines in place to limit the spread of the coronavirus, which still presents a real and deadly threat.

“We will continue to ensure large outdoor spaces are part of our patrols to deal with those gathering in large groups or causing anti-social behaviour which can ruin other people’s enjoyment of outdoor spaces

“We want to thank the community for calling us about theses gatherings so that we were able to respond swiftly. We know the majority of people want to follow the guidance to keep themselves and their families safe.

“This shows you are the eyes and ears in your community. Thank you to those who phoned us, you are instrumental in helping us being able to prevent these gatherings from happening.
To report, you can ring us on 101 or report online here https://www.hampshire.police.uk/

Photo: Library image

Meon Valley Times Advertisement