Police are warning residents to be on their guard after a series of burglaries in the Meon Valley.
This comes after five burglaries were reported between May 21st and May 24th, mostly at night.
The burglaries took place on Church Cottages in South Boarhunt, Pleasant House in Hambledon, and Pound Lane, Stocks Lane and Chapel Road in Meonstoke.
A number of items were stolen including bicycles, garden tools, and a handbag.
A police spokesperson said: “If you have any information on any of these burglaries, please contact us on 101 or speak with a local officer.”
Police said they wanted to remind residents about their crime prevention advice around burglaries:
• Shut all windows and lock them when you are not using the room, at night and when you leave your property
• Lock all front and rear doors at night and when you are out. If you have a UPVC door with a multi-point lock ensure you lift the handle and lock it with the key. Remove the key after the door or window is locked.
• Put all car keys and other keys out of sight and not in reach of windows and letterboxes. It doesn’t take much for the keys to be hooked through the letterbox.
• Leave a light on so your home looks occupied if you are going out for the evening. If you head out while it is still daylight and won’t be back till after dark then timer switches (available from most DIY stores) can be useful for turning your lights, radios and other appliances on at a set time before you get back.
• Ensure side gates are locked to prevent access to the rear of the property.
• Do not leave ladders and garden tools in your garden; lock them away in your shed.
• Have an intruder alarm system installed by an approved contractor. Ensure a visible alarm box is attached to the outside of your home. Also consider fitting security lighting.
• Use door chains and spy holes to give you extra security if someone knocks on your door. Never be afraid to turn people away. If you have concerns about anyone who has come to your door call the police.
• Record the details of your property such as serial numbers for electronic goods on the Immobilise website (https://www.immobilise.com/)